Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 2

What an amazing week!  The kids are all feeling better and we were able to get up and go!  We hiked our favorite hike, Pololu, and while there took a new trail up the mountain and over to the next valley--we met some local girls on the hike who showed us how to pick strawberry guavas, and they were DELICIOUS!--we swam & snorkeled twice at our Mauni Lani beach club beach, which turned out to have AMAZING snorkeling--we swam at Hapuna beach--we took the beautiful drive up to Hilo and stopped at our favorite waterfalls along the way--at Kolekole park we swam to a waterfall, walked under it, and swung on the rope swing back out to the water-- we met Michael, who owns and runs a farm and who had the best homegrown pineapples we've tried--we got to play some tennis, and found one court that wasn't so great, but found a different one that was awesome--we watched the sunset driving over Mauna Kea, a volcano thats summit is 14,000 feet (we were probably 5,000 feet up??)--we watched a hula and fire dancing show--and we made our own leis!!








These leis smelled SOOOOO good! Wish I could send the scent through the computer!




 Mike's pretzels was finally open!  We got our macadamia nut fix, but found our new favorite-- salted carmel and chocolate pretzel!  YUM!!

Our FAVORITE hike!!






Campfire anyone?




This is the top of the 600 feet ridge!  




Facing inland to the valley and the freshwater streams

Facing out to the ocean



The trail that takes us up and over the ridge to the next valley


Don't fall off Lauren!!


The black sand beach at the bottom of Pololu-- after Lauren and I waded in the water we discovered several Portuguese Man-of-War washed up on the shore--glad neither one of us got stung!!



The name of our street!  (Our cousin's name is Maile!)


The only public tennis courts on the whole island!  

All of us, (Josh, Kelly and us) all ended up with the same color rental vans!  Here we are headed to the water falls!




It's a rare thing to have a sunny day, when you do all the rainbows come out!  It was so beautiful!


Just outside of Akaka Falls is a coconut farmer!  He chopped up a coconut, and sugar cane for us!


Kolekole park--this is the drive down to the park: 





We swam over to this waterfall!














This video is from a small little hike that takes you behind the Hawaii Botanical Garden.  The kids always find coconuts and love to do all they can to crack them open!

Almost made it to the top-- (ha ha I was like 2 feet off the ground)






This is all of us climbing to the very top of Rainbow Falls




The very edge of Rainbow falls!

The sunset over the ocean from Mauna Kea


Hapuna Beach (we haven't uploaded the go pro pictures yet from here!)






































4 comments:

Carol Call said...

Beautiful leis, scenery, pretzels, fire dancer, ocean, waterfalls, and especially kids! Love, Grammy

redvelvet said...

I'm loving all the pictures and events! Your week was spent visiting my very very favorite places there! I wish I was there! I still remember that park, playing in the rain with the big leaf umbrellas! How fun to make leis and that salt carmel pretzel sounds so yummy!! keep having fun for me!! :) di

Carol Call said...

Lauren's got the right idea with the fire dancers,Matt the shelter, the tree swing. The water is so clear even with Matt being under the waterfall. Dad and I were at Akaka Falls and possibly Rainbow Falls like Kaycee, The leis are fun to make, huh Sydney? Lots of love, Grammy

redvelvet said...

Thats awesome. I ♥ Hawaii.I am sad I cant go. jr