Friday, June 13, 2008

Life Remote Control

I wish that we had a remote control for life sometimes. Pause some moments, skip others, rewind and see that again. Today is one of those times. I wish I could rewind this whole year and do it again. Today is the last day of school for us. Usually I am whooping it up, ready for a fun filled summer! But today is different. Today feels like the end of a very special era. All three of the girls at elementary school. Lauren graduated from 5th grade, and is on to middle school next year. Kaycee graduated from kindergarten and is now a 1st grader. Sydney is now an upper grader. We had an absolute perfect year at school. All the kids' teachers were amazing and seemed hand picked for our childrens' needs. I have never once cried over my kids at school, not when they went off to kindergarten, or sang those cute Mothers Day songs. But today I have been bawling all day! I had to say goodbye to Lauren's teacher of two years, goodbye to Sydney's teacher who due to budget cuts has been let go, goodbye to Kaycee's teacher and the end of the special kindergarten year, goodbye to our PE teacher who due to budget cuts has been let go as well. It's been too much today!

So, I need to pull myself together and look forward to our fun summer, and learn how to be a parent to (gulp) pre-teens! We are moving forward!

A huge thank you to all our teachers and staff this year. It has truly been a perfect school year.

We are off to Knotts Berry Farm this weekend, for a end of school year/Fathers Day celebration! When we get back, I'll bombard our blog with pictures from the last two weeks!

2 comments:

Kat Green said...

I've been haunted this past week by memories of you as a first-grader on the last day of school; the pic-nic day, all dolled up in your birthday outfit from Aunt Claudia, a sea-green pair of slacks and a coordinated shirt, and your brown Mary Jane school shoes. You said wistfully, "I wish this day never came."

I'm so sorry you have been experiencing the "veil of tears." There are lots of rip-roaring good times to come. But I have to agree with you, the precious baby days, toddler days and grade-school days are magical, and they never come again.

For so many years, the hours and days of intense baby duty seem endless. Then suddenly it's over.

It's enough to make a mom weep for the past even as she looks forward to the future.

One day (before you know it), Lauren will be weeping for her own little daughter's "last times."

Julie said...

You are so sweet to have gone in and said good-bye to everybody. I tend to live in the land of denial. It works pretty well for me. I waited up at the top of the hill like any other day, and pretended that it was just another Friday. Really, our kids did get THE best teachers!