Thursday, September 18, 2008

Point of View

This is my 100th post! Wow! I tried to think of something spectacular to write about--but instead I thought I'd share my point of view on a lot of issues that have been surfacing.

1--Prop 8. I have had several spirited discussions on this topic in the last few weeks. I need to start campaigning harder for this to pass. For me it is not the single issue of marriage--it is the trickle down effect of what will happen if this does not pass. If gay marriage is legal, it will force homosexuality to be taught in schools as a valid option for dating and marriage. It will force churches to either allow gay marriages, or be forced to loose their tax exemption status if they do not perform these marriages--as many churches are right now being sued back East for this exact reason. I do not feel that the First Presidency would ask the Saints to get so involved if it is not such an important issue. This surely is a test of obedience for Latter Day Saints, just as marching in the Mormon Battalion was, just as leaving homes, farms and businesses to settle new areas was. How can we ignore a direct request from the Prophet because we don't want to get involved?

2--The History Alive book being taught in middle school. I got an email from parents who were very against this book being used because it discusses religion along with the history of mankind. How can you take religion out of history? Most Empires were built on a religious belief. Our own country was founded due to religious suppresion. That is what separates periods of time, and different cultures. I have no problem with Lauren learning about a religion, because I know that she is being taught our Christian religion at home. Case in point--she had to learn about the evolution of man. She looked at me and said I thought Adam was the first man on Earth. That led to a long discussion on the Theory of Evolution Vs. the Creation Theory. We looked up Genesis and read straight from the Bible on when man was placed on the Earth, and was created in God's own image. As much as I wish I could raise our kids in a bubble, I know they need to learn about other religions, other ways of life, and yet know what our beliefs and morals are at home.

3--The School Board -- PLEASE go vote for some new members. I feel that the school board is so wrapped up in the Union's needs and their own needs that they don't listen at all to parents needs. (This is probably true of all politics in general). I am still frustrated with the school schedule--and hope that things will change with that. There are several candidates for the board positions that are open. Check the Californian for details on each candidate. Check my other blog for more information as well http://elementaryschedule.blogspot.com

4--McCain vs Obama. I can't even get into this. To me the Presidental election seems to always come down to the lesser of two evils. But at least we have the ability to vote.

I just have to end by saying how grateful I am to live in this country. With all it's faults, it is still the promised land. I am grateful for the political process that allows us as citizens to voice our opinions, and to be able to make a change if it's needed. I am grateful to live where we do, where we have such an amazing school district. Even with the budget cuts, and schedules, and other issues, I still feel that our kids are getting a great education. They are being taught by incredible men and women who have dedicated their lives to our children. I'm so blessed to be able to stay home and get involved as much as I do. I really love this area, and the great friends, neighbors and church members who live here. I could not be happier, and I could not be more grateful for all that we have been blessed with. I am grateful that I was born a member of our church, that I was taught about Jesus Christ and know that His hand is in all things. I am grateful for the courageous, intelligent and passionate men and women who are willing to stand and fight for our life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Great 100th post Sharon!!! Here in AZ we are all helping to support a Prop that defines marriage as between one man and one woman as well. I was reading an article the other day about these "marriage" props and was shocked at how many LDS members put negative comments to the article. They didn't see the connection on how it could impact their families, children and rights. I just got asked to call the members in my ward to see if they were registered to vote and help anyone who is not. Our Stake is manning a call center next week too to call the community to answer question about the prop and try to get the vote out. I too sense the urgency that the church leaders are placing on these propositions. Way to speak out.

Tanya said...

Ditto everything you said! Thank you!

Cheryl said...

Sharon, Why weren't we best friends when I lived there? I love this post!!! I agree with everything, and last year the girls and I had a lot of fun debunking the theory of evolution as we studied the creation of the world. And Prop 8! Good for you. I only wish I could help. I am praying. Also I will send you an email I got yesterday re: Obama and McCain, I think you will like it. Ok, thanks again for this great post!